Saturday, 28 July 2012

Robots, Human Expansion, Mechas and Suffering

I can't think of anything to say on antinatalism or suicide or any other topic that seems to pass through my mind these days, so instead of leaving this blog barren and lifeless, I'll proceed to tell you about the things I'm doing instead of enlightening you all, not that I could do that anyway.

I've been doing a lot of things recently, but the only things relevant to you I'm supposing are Blassreiter, and Robots and Empire.

Blassreiter is an anime that is a litle sub-standard in some respects, such as music and pacing (pacing is extremely fast), but is worthwhile from a Pessimistic point of view from 1. Its focus on the incredible suffering in the world - you see examples of this everywhere, and very little of the good in the world is offered to 'offset' it. 2. Its antivillain who seeks not to rule the world, but to end it so people no longer commit sin and suffer. 3. Its focus on forgiveness and guilt, and especially how everyone suffers: the person attacked and the person who attacks. It also has mechas and humans whose proteins have been modified to be ultra-cool looking by nanonmachines! But that's not relevant.

Robots and Empire is a science fiction novel by Isaac Asimov. It lacks in - well it lacks. Isaac Asimov I love for his unique ideas, but I just think in some places his writing isn't the best at conveying emotion. I, Robot was a tough read at the start because of this. However, it has an interesting hypothesis: what if transhumanism were wrong, and all those long lifespans just led to boredom and the desire for death? What if death makes life good in that it makes relationships more meaningful, and makes life something that can be risked? That is basically what Asimov puts forward as an idea in this book. So far, I'm loving it. I find the dialogue extremely interesting, though the action leaves a lot to be desired.

I'll keep you posted when I come across anything I think would be of interest in the future. Bye for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment