Tuesday, 15 November 2011

Full Reviews Vol. 2 - Time travel and robots

Sometimes I lament a little that I am not as well-read as I'd like. I have a stack of science fiction classics that I've been meaning to get into for months, but as things go, reading is a lot like exercise: hard to start doing, easy to keep doing. But just as social skills generally tend to slip my mind, so does reading books. But in any case, on with the reviews:
BOOKS
The Time Machine (H.G. Wells) - Unlike the Invisible Man (boring and too slow, in my opinion), I enjoyed this book quite a bit. Words cannot describe how remarkably before-its-time this was. The strangeness and sheer plausibility of the evolved humans isn't something you would find in many books these days. In fact, it's a common sci-fi trope to have humans NOT EVOLVE whatsoever - even though environments will change, some people will be more adapted and will breed more yadda yadda. The descriptions alone are enough for me to recommend it. It's in the public domain too, which is always a plus.

MANGA
Chobits - Don't get me wrong here. Chobits is a good manga, it definitely is. But after reading CardCaptor Sakura, I just came to expect a lot more of CLAMP. The story is good, the philosophy is pretty good too. But everything is just good. There isn't enough there to warrant a re-read, and the story is a little too simplistic to extract anything out of it that you hadn't already gotten. But if you're a fan of CLAMP, I'd probably tell you to go for it, because it is plenty heartwarming, like most of their works.

Too tired to write anything more. Until next time, I'm out.

No comments:

Post a Comment