Monday, 28 November 2011

First Look Reviews Vol. 3 Thrillers, a Widely Loved Manga, and a Wildly Hated One

ANIME
Boogiepop Phantom - My god this is a great series (so far). Every episode has been dark, hazy and addicting, and in some ways I'd say that this is really what Paranoia Agent should have been, but wasn't. More on this when I get round to watching more.
Paranoia Agent - Satoshi Kon has a rather inconsistent track record with me; Paprika I absolutely adored. That is one film I don't think I'll ever tire of watching (the soundtrack of course, helping a lot). Tokyo Godfathers, was a heartwarming, alternative, and overall solid film that I honestly didn't get bored of for one second - a rare feat for most films nowadays. But Perfect Blue didn't click with me at all. Not that it was a bad film, just simply, it didn't elicit much of an emotional response from me, other than maybe the ending scenes - though of course a rewatch is in order one of these days. Paranoia Agent, another of his, I felt really went off track past the fourth episode or so, when the criminal is 'caught'. Past that point the tension just broke for me. Even though the series hadn't come to any conclusion yet, I felt that at that point, it could no longer satisfy any need I had for the atmosphere of the first few episodes to come to its rightful end. Still an interesting series regardless, I think - I especially liked the suicide pact one. That episode, as a standalone story, is definitely worth watching, especially if you have ever thought of suicide, simply for its comedic value.


MANGA
I keep on doing these manga reviews solely on the vague hope that someone, somewhere, while google searching antinatalism and a manga, will find these reviews, and will say, hey, you know what estnihil, I thought either the same thing or something completely different, and that is my informed interesting opinion. Or well, not really solely. I also do them since oftentimes during the process of reading something I get the thought 'this is great because X', and X suddenly jumps from my brain down my hands onto my keyboard and onto the world wide web. But in any case, I will TRY to cover things that I think most people here will enjoy, such as literature, and (eventually) TV shows.

Black Jack - I have to admit, I really had no intention whatsoever of getting into Osamu Tezuka - none of his works really appealed to me, and I had a vague bias that his works, being somewhat dated, would not be up to standard. But upon wondering what a medical manga would be like (a completely medical manga - Monster was only partially like that), I started clicking away, and eventually found my way to Black Jack, and I have to say, it has not only completely changed my misconceptions about Osamu Tezuka, but it has also taken away some of my previous coldness towards episodic forms of media - that is to say, media with no overarching plot. What I see now instead is that it isn't so bad having a structure without a plotline that carries on through the series, SO LONG AS, like this brilliant manga, you manage to make each episode enjoyable to your audience.

Yu-Gi-Oh - The reviews of this manga are absolutely terrible, I should warn you. This is another one of those things that are special to me, as in, you will probably not enjoy this at all. But as for me, on the other hand, I grew up watching a censored, dubbed version of Yu-Gi-Oh on TV, and the neat, somewhat simplistic things going on in this manga appeal to my inner child greatly. The art is pretty good as well, if you're wondering. As for the antinatalist side of things, one could say that this card game springing up saps children and adults, real and fictional of their free time, meaning less time is spent upon courtship behaviour, less children are born, and the human population slowly and slowly dries up, until all that is left are ghost towns riddled with cards, blowing in the wind. An efilist dream!

No comments:

Post a Comment