Sunday, 10 July 2011

Eternal Recurrence Revisited

A while back, relatively speaking, I did a post on Eternal Recurrence, and what that might mean for one's life on Earth. What I'm now prepared to say is this: that was idiotic. As pointed out by a (sadly) anonymous commenter, I do not even know enough about consciousness to accurately say that it will be the same 'me' repeating each time. And at the same time, I'm pretty sure that now, knowing that the evidence scientifically too is pretty much scarce, that all this was simply a nice little fantasy. A fantasy geared at my innate immortality drives, which I believed suppressed for all this time. You see, I fell in love with an idea; the idea that I would relive my lovely childhood again, as I've written about here. But now I'm quite sure that this life is probably the only one, I'm left feeling quite empty. It's as if my childhood never even existed, in the grand scheme of things. It won't even take infinity years for me to repeat it, NO amount of time will allow me to repeat it. Though, the same thing goes for my troubled teens, and all the other stains on my otherwise pristine (ha!) life. I just haven't thought about this before. Life is a horrible thing, don't get me wrong, a really really unimaginably mindbogglingly horrendous thing. But, again, when you look at things relative to eternity, it's actually pleasantly short, even if I don't get to play with my imaginary friends ever again. You do your 80 years or so of hell, you check out, and your oblivion is waiting right there for you with outstretched arms. Then for the next infinity or so centuries, give or take a few, you don't have to worry about even one iota of existential scum floating around your corpse. You simply don't exist. Of course the problem with finding this pleasant is the mental block we have on death. It's easy to imagine living, because you are, but it's impossible to imagine not, because you're not. But, having taken the long length of this post to contemplate the eternity of death, I've changed my mind. It sounds great, probably a lot better than the eternal return, and that's all that matters to me.

2 comments:

  1. Death is great, the best gift ever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is very difficult for people to accept the idea that our consciousness just ends and that is it. One way to think about it is you never had any consciousness at all before you were born, and that was fine, right? 1700 wasn't a bad year for you, because you had no awareness of anything. The same thing applies to every other year before you were born. The other way to think about it is you spend several hours every night unconscious, and when you are not dreaming, from your own point of view that is the same as being dead during that time every night. It is the prospect of it being forever that I think disturbs people the most.

    ReplyDelete