Sunday, 26 June 2011

The Crux of Antinatalism: Morality

I pondered recently on the act of creating a census of everyone that I’ve seen on Jim’s chatroom – but by the responses I received from them, and the general aura of boredom I received from myself, I decided that it was best to leave it for someone else to do, being hard-working and responsible as I am.

      So what to do for today's post, then? I have absolutely no idea. I am beginning to think, actually, that I've said everything that could be said on antinatalism without pillaging and plagiarising from Jim and Sister Y - but as it stands, I still have a few tricks up my sleeve. Today I shall be looking at why morality is something I (or even a person) must follow - I myself have had brief encounters with nihilism and egoism as philosophies, but am glad to say that now, I am quite set on following what feelings of pity and guilt that I have. It is for two reasons that I do this: one, I say that the main basis for a negative utilitarian morality among humans is simply that each of us could have been born as another person at some point - there are no rules, as far as I know, determining where consciousness arises. Although I will probably run into some logical troubles saying this, there was probably no determining factor that makes you, you - why I am estnihil and not Sister Y is going to be another philosophically tricky and unsolvable problem, but I still retain the belief that 'I' (not the real 'I' of course) could have been conscious in another body - and because of this, I believe that since I could have been anyone, I must necessarily treat others as I would treat myself, or thereabouts. The other, less logical reason, why I act with respect to what I believe to be right is simply that I am hardwired to feel this way - you may say that just because I am a certain way does not necessarily mean I should continue to be a certain way, but ultimately, as with all living creatures with brains, I seek to avoid pain - and in doing so avoid harming others. You may try to make this an argument against antinatalism, by saying some people are just hardwired to have children, but if they were directing their emotions with logic, they would indeed, feel pain at the thought of bringing another life into this world without its consent. Yes I restrict morality to Negative Utilitarianism. This is because, again, I feel less indecision and pain about moral conundrums when I think in this way. No, you don't have to follow me. You can be a moral nihilist if you want, give birth to as many children as you want, and so on. But with my specific wiring, and with my care for my non-existent children, I will never follow you.

         I hope I do not have any kind of significant backlash from this post; I simply do not know of any other arguments for morality among living creatures. If you believe I am wrong, and that nihilism is right, or there are other reasons why humans should follow a moral code, please feel free to comment and tell me.

No comments:

Post a Comment